Wednesday, January 13, 2010

Y! Always Y!

Welcome to The Skeptycal Quantym Chemyst. I am your host, Seth Olsen.

This blog is to be a forum for me to float my increasingly heretical ideas about the state of modern theoretical chemistry and chemical physics.

On occasion, I will contrast these with the quite distinct field of molecular physics. One of my early rants will probably be about why these fields are NOT THE SAME.

I will be paying particular attention to the sub-field of molecular electronic structure, which somehow has managed to attract the traditional label of "Quantum Chemistry". I will not be limited to this, though, just as real quantum chemistry should not be limited to molecular electronic structure!

I was inspired to begin this blog by my colleague Prof. Ross H. McKenzie, who has demonstrated to me via his own blog "Condensed Concepts" (http://condensedconcepts.blogspot.com/) that this medium is actually a good way to foster scientific communication (without having to deal with annoying reviewers!). Ross' blog deals with some quantum chemical issues itself, as well as more general condensed matter physics.

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment